Friday, May 18, 2018

An Adventurous Vegan in the Kitchen: Tales of a Former "Box Grabber” Vegan



After nearly a decade of operating as a vegetarian, I was constantly lingering in the vegetarian frozen-food aisle of the grocery store, buying veggie burgers, veggie chicken, veggie bacon etc, or I would be in the back of the fruit sections buying my favorite vegan dips, or I could be found perusing through the veggie milk section of the store, trying to decipher the real difference between the multitude of brands on the market. I assumed I had to get some of my veggie products out of a package or a container in order to enjoy the great taste of some of the basic vegetarian foods. I took advantage of an industry that took advantage of people’s busy schedules or people’s basic ignorance when it comes to cooking vegetarian foods. Although, I’ve realized in order to be an independent vegetarian and not a processed vegan-food junkie, one needs to be adventurous and willing to experiment by learning new ways of putting food together—not necessarily by imitating a meat or dairy texture or flavor, but that’s exactly how my journey began. So as I found more time in my day, I had became committed to finding out how to cook vegan foods, which I oftentimes made to imitate the prepared foods in the packages that I had grown so familiar with. So I started by purchasing several vegan cookbooks and making use of online recipes, then I purchased a blender and a dehydrator and the results of my experimentation were amazing! 

So in this article are ten healthy vegan foods options that I have learned how to prepare over time, making me much less dependent on the veganism-in-a-container lifestyle. In fact, there are numerous benefits that come with making your own foods, including having total control over the ingredients. Some veggie processed foods could include too much sodium, sugar, artificial coloring, eggs, or excess oil, because its sold by companies that are pressured into making products that tastes good, in pursuit of gaining that lifetime loyal customer. Sure, purchasing foods out of a paper box or plastic container is extremely convenient but it could become costly in the long run, due to medial related problems and the huge price tag that comes with being sick.

So instead of purchasing veggie burgers, I would make my own “burgers" out of beans, spelt flour, corn, and carrot blended together. These burgers would taste either just as good or even better than the box burgers I had purchased so frequently. 
Then after purchasing at least hundreds upon hundreds of half-gallon sized almond milks in my lifetime, eventually I learned that I could easily make almond milk by just blending one cup of soaked almonds and six cups of water blended; then sometimes I would alternate and make a form of milk from other nutrient-rich nuts, like cashes and walnuts.  I was amazed to see that even the almond milk turned white just like the kind I had been so regularly purchasing at the grocery store! Sometimes I even added vanilla and cinnamon to the mix in an effort to enhance the flavor. Then I mixed walnuts with tamari sauce and chili powder to produce a similar texture to beef. Next, I learned how to make hummus by simply blending tahini, chick peas, red bell pepper, lemon, onion, and garlic. I also learned how to dehydrate fruits and my afternoons I would making dried apples and pineapples. Kale chips were my favorite and I learned that with just some red bell pepper and garlic blended together as the sauce, the homemade kale chips could taste absolutely delicious. I also learned how to make guacamole by mixing avocado with tomato and basil. Afterwards, I made my own health bars by mixing seeds, nuts, and dates.So why purchase these items at the store when it’s so easy to make at home? 

So instead of being a vegetarian operating out of a state of need for something found in a box, you I became adventurous and learned how to live a healthy lifestyle by mixing together whole foods, eliminating the need for preservatives or having to deal with other added foods that don't fare well with a healthy lifestyle—this is something that you can do too. In the end you’ll feel more like you’ve got a handle on your health and you’ll save a couple of dollars to match. 

So when you get some time, try you own form of experimentation in order to operate as an independent vegetarian and not someone who’s become the vegan food marketer’s dream!  

What dishes are you making now, liberating you from the confines of being a box-grabbing vegan? 

No comments:

Post a Comment

An Adventurous Vegan in the Kitchen: Tales of a Former "Box Grabber” Vegan

After nearly a decade of operating as a vegetarian, I was constantly lingering in the vegetarian frozen-food aisle of the grocery st...